Monday, October 27, 2008

I think I can...


The past couple of weeks have been pretty trying at my job. I've been working like crazy with minimal support on a small budget program that has a really quick turnaround time. I pride myself on being able to handle programs like this and feel like I can get the job done. But, I gotta say, sitting here in my chair at home, I find myself wanting to relax and leave the job at the office. Instead I'm here writing about it. The stress is bothering me. I understand that everyone has different levels of stress in their jobs and the key to functioning with it from day to day takes balance. Maybe this blog sesh will help me find some...
Over the last 3 years, I've learned many things in the business of marketing brands . I feel like I now have the tools to do bigger things. I owe a great deal to my company on a bunch of levels. Sure, I have my issues with the way certain things are run and how the business has changed over the years. But, for the most part, my belief is that the business has grown just like me. I started there right as the company was becoming what it is today and I think its growth has mirrored my own in some ways.
I have always been the type of person that will dive right into something even when I have no idea what I'm doing. "We need you to own this Josh" they'll say to me. I'll say, "NO PROBLEM!". Own it? Fuck... I might as well have invented it with how quick I have been to appease my bosses during my time at this job. Ugh, this has always been a blessing and a curse. It's given me the absolute power to be able learn on the fly and with every account I take on, I obtain new and more efficient methods for the way I work. It's become an invaluable method of madness, something I wouldn't want any differently, but still hate that I do to myself. They have given me the opportunity and freedom to be a little creative in the way I put on promotions and that has been really important in molding my ability to work independently.
Anyway, going back to what I was saying about how the company and myself have changed, I think they did the same thing I do. Always say yes to the person who is going to pay you. Sell in the business and work out the details later. I think that's why they hired me. I'm the guy who will say yes to them. In order to succeed, any good company needs as many people like this as possible, capable, strong-minded yes men and women. Keep saying yes until you have the power to make choices and still succeed. So folks, that is my plan. I'm going to keep saying yes until I don't have to anymore. That time will come, I feel it in my bones. But until then, I will totally own that shit.

On another note, yet still very much in the same theme as "The Little Engine", I am up to 4 miles a day. It has been hard on my body, but damn its been good on the soul. This running thing is quickly becoming a pretty awesome addiction.

OH YEAH annnnnd I got a passport! I can go places now. First stop Israel! Peace - Josh

No comments: